An Institute in the Teaching of Reading
Featuring guest keynote speaker, Renée Houser, author of Teachers Toolkit for Independent Reading and What Do I Teach Readers Tomorrow series.
Beginning participants will learn to:
- Launch a reading workshop that fosters a love of reading in your students
- Build routines & structures that promote independence and engagement
- Integrate components of balanced literacy to promote transfer of skills
- Implement the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project units of study with confidence.
Advanced participants will develop a Reading Toolkit:
- To use during mini lessons, conferences and small group work
- To support differentiation and meeting ALL student’s needs
- To create more independent and joyful readers
- To encourage the transfer of reading skills and strategies
Administrators / Literacy Coaches /Lead Teachers will study:
- How to give teachers both on the spot and written feedback
- Effective ways to lead learning walks
- Ideas for supporting teachers with planning & analyzing student data
- Methods for leading professional develoment during faculty meetings
* LAUSD Salary Points Available!